Here at RiddleVerse, we love learning how the brain works. The ins and outs of memory, cognitive reasoning, and perpetual speed are fascinating, and while the jury is still out on if brain games help you stay sharp, we’re all about any tip or hack that keeps the ol’ noggin workin’ in tip top shape. We talked before how music can improve productivity, or even help you solve riddles, but did you know…
More than just music, there are different types of sound that can keep your brain sharp.
Instead of just turning to music for maximum mental output, try these aural alternatives to test and tweak which sounds work best for your cognitive performance.
Research has shown that a moderate noise level can up your creativity. And on a related level, a 2015 study found that when it came to drowning out sounds with ambient noise, “natural” sounds, such as rain or waves, also improved concentration.
Here are a few places to tune into the right noise for maximum riddle solving:
- SimplyNoise — Playing a low pitch white noise in the background can keep you focused and not easily distracted by outside noises.
- RainyMood — This plays a loop of a mild storm that can really set the mood for riddle solving time!
- Noisii — A background noise generator that helps you drown out annoying noises and that lets you create your perfect environment for working and relaxing.
- Coffivity – A coffee shop ambiance noise generator. In the (simulated) coffee shop, the chatter and clatter actually distracts us a tiny bit and allows our creative juices to start flowing.
What are binaural beats? Well, I’ll let the experts explain…
“Binaural beats are a series of sounds or tones that are played separately in each ear via headphones. They work by activating various centers in the brain. Which centers are activated, and to what extent, depends upon the exact sequence of tones used. Different sequences are said to help produce different effects, such as increased mental focus.”
Studies have shown a relationship between gamma waves and memory recall. Brainwave entrainment with binaural beats is a way to train the brain to synchronize to a certain frequency, such as gamma, beta, delta, theta and alpha. Each frequency matches a certain state of consciousness.
Specifically, gamma waves are believed to link and process information from all other parts of the brain. A high amount of gamma wave activity in the brain is associated with intelligence and improved memory.
Listen to these binaural resources with your headphones on:
- 1 Hour Gamma Binaural Beats Session — The first comment on this YouTube video is “I just wrote a 2000 word essay without stopping after listening to this. It’s like an inexpensive version of cocaine…” We’ll leave it at that.
- Pure Binaural Beats App — Plenty of apps out there for serving up binaural beats, but we like the look and feel of this one.
- 40Hz Binaural Beats For Intense Focus, Concentration And Cognitive Improvement – an hour-long SoundCloud track that gets the job done.
Even if you’re not typically one to turn to music, ambient noise, or woo-woo brain wave stimulating beats, the science is compelling and the brain-boosting results are intriguing. You’ve got nothing to lose. Except maybe cash prizes in The RiddleVerse… if you don’t up your brain game.
What are your tips or tricks to hone your concentration and focus?